These pumpkin treats are adorable and fun to make. Delight your guests at the next Halloween party or something fun at the dessert table at Thanksgiving.
If you’ve made Rice Krispies treats before, this recipe doesn’t stray from the original, the only extra ingredient is food colouring, which is added to the butter and marshmallow mixture before adding the cereal.
Experiment with your combination of red and yellow food colouring until the desired colour is achieved, but you will find that you will use more yellow than red.
While most Rice Krispie treat recipes have you press the mixture into a pan, these are rolled into balls (the size of a baseball).
Helpful hint: since marshmallows are a really sticky situation, spray your hands with oil spray prior to rolling the balls. You will have a much easier time!
After you have your perfect little pumpkin shapes, add some additional decorations.
While they’re still warm, press a miniature Rolo into the top of each pumpkin for the stem, and beside the “stem,” cut out a leaf shape using a green sheet of roll-ups. Now you have charming pumpkins for your treat table, and better yet, everything is edible.
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 (10 oz) pkg. mini marshmallows
- Orange gel food coloring (if not available, mix yellow and red together)
- Mini Rolo chocolate
- Green Fruit Roll-up sheet
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Measure out rice krispies cereal and pour into a bowl. Melt butter in a non-stick glass bowl (using a microwave) or pot over medium-heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir and as they begin to melt start adding in the gel food coloring until desired color is achieved. Stir constantly until marshmallows have melted (or add back into the microwave for another 30 seconds).
- Remove from heat then immediately pour in rice krispies cereal and gently stir and fold with a spatula until cereal is evenly coated. Let mixture cool slightly (until it’s cool enough to handle with your hands).
- Spray hands with non-stick cooking spray then shape the rice krispies treat mixture into balls about the size of a baseball, then place 1 piece mini chocolate Rolo into the top center and reshape the pumpkin as needed. Transfer to a plate or dish sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
- Beginning on one side of the fruit roll-up and cut out a leaf shape with clean scissors then use the remaining portion of the piece of candy to roll and shape into a thin rope shape then twist into a vine shape.
- Repeat with remaining candy. Store in an airtight container.